Shell Lubricants 6.5% Economy Benefit
A collaboration between research teams at Shell and Gordon Murray Design (GMD) has led to the development of an innovative concept engine lubricant capable of achieving a 6.5 per cent¹improvement in fuel efficiency – a step change compared to the improvements of around 2.5 per cent achieved in typical fuel economy lubricant development programme. Business-customers/Lubricants.
Using GMD’s new T.25 city car – a breakthrough in city vehicle design² – as the test bed, Shell engineers have been able to work beyond current industry specifications to formulate an ultra low viscosity 0W-10 motor oil, effectively tearing up the rule book in the search for even greater efficiency.
Changes in legislation and new emission standards are putting pressure on vehicle manufacturers to improve fuel efficiency and reduce emissions. While the development of increasingly fuel efficient engines is ongoing, and has made significant progress in recent years, lubrication is one area that can provide an extra boost to help meet those targets.
A co-engineering approach between the Shell and GMD development teams used sophisticated mathematical modelling techniques to define the optimum lubricant for the T.25 engine design, helping to achieve the lowest possible engine friction.
Selda Gunsel, Vice President Lubricants and B2B Products Technology at Shell Lubricants, says “Blending low viscosity oil to improve fuel efficiency is actually relatively simple; the challenge comes when you look to balance it with engine protection and acceptable oil drain intervals.
The Shell Lubricants product data guide is a summary of Shell’s standard product lines and contains information about products, pack sizes, application, performance characteristics and technical specifications all data present here is directly from Shell
There are products on the market that have made great strides in achieving this balance, such as Shell Helix Ultra but they have to work within the parameters of current industry specifications. We believe that now is the time to start looking at lubricant technology that goes beyond current specifications to enhance the efficiency of the cars of tomorrow.”
We have challenged every aspect of car design to create the T.25 and the environmentally positive iStream manufacturing process. The lubricant is no exception. It is a vital engine component that has more potential than most for improving a vehicle’s fuel economy and cutting its CO2 emissions. That is why we have been working closely with Shell to test their exciting new ultra-low-viscosity concept oil.
As one of the world’s largest transport fuel and lubricant providers, Shell is doing what we can to help customers use less fuel and emit less today. We are calling our strategic response to the challenge of sustainable transport ‘smarter mobility’. Smarter mobility comprises a range of innovations in three key areas: smarter products, smarter use and smarter infrastructure.
By focusing on delivering smarter fuels and lubricants for our customers and promoting more efficient use of resources, incremental improvements can be achieved which could be significant in terms of scale and give substantial benefits over time.
Technology projects such as the Shell concept motor oil co-engineered with Gordon Murray Design are a tangible example of the results of our work to develop smart products for the ever more efficient cars of the future.” Roger Moulding, Vice-President Global Key Accounts at Shell Lubricants.
The figure of 6.5 percent is derived from testing on an urban cycle (the urban cycle is designed to mimic the conditions of city driving). Combined cycle (the combined cycle is designed to mimic both urban and motorway driving) testing yielded a 4.6 percent benefit. The testing undertaken compares the concept lubricant to a 10W-30 oil which is a widely used viscosity in European markets.
The T.25 represents a major breakthrough in automotive design. It is a city car designed to have world-leading efficiency and ultra-low emissions. The car is also optimised for performance, cost, safety, usability, recyclability and ease of assembly.
About Shell Lubricants
- The term “Shell Lubricants” collectively refers to Shell Group companies engaged in the lubricants business. They manufacture and blend products for use in a range of applications, from consumer motoring to mining and power generation to commercial transport. Shell’s portfolio of lubricant brands includes Pennzoil®, Quaker State®, Shell Rotella T, Shell Helix, Shell Rimula, Shell Tellus, Monarch and Jiffy Lube®. Shell has leading lubricants research centres in Germany, Japan (joint venture with Showa Shell), UK, and the USA.
- Our products are manufactured and marketed in more countries than any other lubricants supplier’s, enabling us to supply to our largest customers. We are expanding rapidly into emerging markets while continuing to seek growth in our heartland markets.
- In 2002, Shell acquired Pennzoil-Quaker State Company to become the No. 1 lubricants marketer in the USA. Pennzoil motor oil has been one of the leading motor oil brands in the USA since 1985.
- In 2006, Shell acquired a 75% share in Tongyi, which is China’s leading independent lubricant manufacturer. Today Shell is the leading international lubricants supplier in China and has the third largest share of China’s rapidly growing market.
- In November 2009, we opened our sixth lube oil blending plant in Zhuhai, Guangdong Province, China. With a production capacity of 200 million litres a year, and the potential for a phased development to 400 million litres a year, the complex could become one of Shell’s top three lubricants blending plants worldwide in volume terms.We focus on developing products and services that provide both superior protection and efficiency.For the fourth consecutive year, Shell has been named the number one global lubricants supplier – selling more lubricants in 2009 than any other company in the world. (Source: Kline & Company)Gordon Murray Design Limited is a British company operating from Shalford in Surrey. The Company aims to be the world leader in automotive design and reverses the current industry trend for sub-contracting by having a complete in-house capability for design, prototyping and development. The Company is compact and focused and undertakes automotive and other engineering programmes in an efficient and innovative way.
Mobile:+234-7065131380 or 07084158325